Snapchat users have been widely reporting app crashes since installing the latest version of the app released through the App Store. The company acknowledged the issue with a post on Twitter today, promising that it is already working on the fix.
The crashing issue has haunted Snapchat for a long time, with a large number of users often complaining about the repeated crash out of the app. While some state that Snapchat keeps crashing on iPhones right after launch, others report that the app tends to get frozen while being used and automatically quits.
Either way, it’s rather frustrating and needs an immediate fix. But fret not, we’ve figured out 10 effective ways to fix the Snapchat not working issue on iPhone. So, here are some hacks to bring the social networking app back on track.
What causes Snapchat to crash?
First things first, app crashing is a common phenomenon on iPhone, or for that matter, any smartphone. So, you shouldn’t worry too much about it. As to why the crashing issue has persisted with Snapchat for so long, it’s a matter of deep research.
Perhaps, Snap has failed to spot the underlying frailties that cause the issue despite several attempts. Maybe, the social networking app needs to be cleaned up from time to time and failing to do that triggers the problem. Or maybe there is a hidden iOS bug that is playing the spoilsport. Not to mention, your VPN service might also be coming in the way.
Considering there are multiple potential reasons, it’s not easy to pinpoint a specific loophole. Hence, we are going to try out various ways in order to troubleshoot Snapchat’s repeated crashing problem and fix the problem.
Different Approaches to Fix Snapchat That Keeps Crashing On iPhone
- Delete and Re-install Snapchat: Sometimes, the easiest solution fixes the issue. Hence, uninstalling and installing Snapchat again might get the job done. Although it’s easy to do it, follow the below steps if you have any doubts:
- Long-press Snapchat.
- Select Remove App.
- Now, go to the App store.
- Search for Snapchat and install it again.
- Deactivate your VPNs: VPN services sometimes work against certain apps due to IP fluctuation. If your VPN is still active, Snapchat might keep closing or fail to work at all. Therefore, ensuring that you deactivate all VPN services while using Snapchat might work
- Clear Snapchat Cache: Cache from previous versions of the app might weigh it down sometimes. So, clearing it might fix the problem, especially if the app crashes mid-operation. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Snapchat on your device.
- Tap your Profile icon at the top left.
- Select the Settings icon at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap Clear Cache under ACCOUNT ACTIONS.
- Select Clear.
- Force stop and reopen Snapchat :
- Open the App Switcher
- On iPhones with Touch ID, double-tap the Home button.
- On iPhones with Face ID, swipe up from the Home Screen.
- From the apps that come up, swipe close to Snapchat.
- Now, tap Snapchat in the App Library to reopen it.
If it still fails to work, restarting your device might also help. If it doesn’t, move on to the next fix.
- Open the App Switcher
- Update your Snapchat version: If you’ve not updated your Snapchat in a long time, it’s time you do. Although there was a bug in the June 28 version 126.96.36.199, Snapchat has received well over 15 updates since that buggy version, with the latest version 188.8.131.52 surfacing on September 21. So this bug has been fixed along with recent updates.To update Snapchat on your iPhone running iOS 13 and later:
- Go to the App Store.
- Type Snapchat in the search icon.
Alternatively, tap your picture at the top right to view outdated apps.
Check Snapchat’s server status: The crashing problem may sometimes arise due to general server issues on Snapchat’s end. If that’s the case, none of the above fixes will help. You’ll have to wait till Snapchat resolves the issue.
Contact Snapchat Support or visit the Snapchat help center website to report the issue for further assistance and recommendations. Also, verify and ensure that your Snapchat account has no issues and that you’ve entered the correct account credentials. This is a must-do if you have multiple Snapchat accounts, are prompted with login errors, and aren’t sure of the account information or login details to use. Relay any error messages or codes you see while attempting to run Snapchat as these will serve as clues on what went wrong and what needs to work on to fix the problem.
Also, read How to Hide Your Snapchat Score?
In the heat of competition, social media companies are regularly evolving their mobile platforms. Snapchat keeps pace with the race dominated by Facebook and Twitter thanks to its evolved features. However, the platform also has to deal with obstacles that some of its competitors have already crossed in the past. Some users complain that Snapchat keeps crashing and can only speculate that this is due to a glitch. Fortunately, there are solutions to get the app working again while you wait for an update from the Snapchat team.